Mummy’s Miracle Summer Guide: Baby Heat Rash
By Reena Enjambre |
Mummy’s Miracle Summer Guide: Baby Heat Rash
Now that it’s summer, one of the major problems a baby faces is heat rash or some call it prickly heat.
Heat Rash, prickly heat or miliaria suddenly flares up and, oftentimes, looks alarming, but it is not usually a cause of concern. Our little angels have delicate skin, hence, they are more likely to get heat rash than us adults.
What is heat rash?
Before we get to the remedies you can try to treat heat rash, we should get into the basics first.
Let’s define heat rash. What really is it? Heat rash--or some people call it prickly heat--is a skin flare that happens when the skin gets too warm. These rashes can feel uncomfortable because they are itchy and prickly. Hence, the other name, prickly heat.
Why do babies get heat rash?
The major cause of heat rash is when sweat gets trapped in the skin. Our little ones have smaller sweat glands and are less able to regulate their body temperature, they are more likely prone to have heat rash compared to adults.
Other causes are tight clothes, blankets and swaddles. Babies being all wrapped up during summer can cause heat rash, we adults like to wear loose and refreshing clothes during summer and that principle applies to babies as well.
Babies have a little control over their surroundings and environment, they can’t take off the extra clothings that causes their temperature to rise and can’t move away from it as well. We need to be vigilant if our babies are feeling hot already so that we ease them or take away the causes, because their bodies are less effective at regulating temperature.
Lastly, another cause why babies are more vulnerable to heat rash is because they tend to have more skin folds which traps heat and sweat.
3 Types of Heat Rash
- Miliaria Ruba - this is the most common type of heat rash. This occurs when there is a blockage in the sweat glands near the epidermis--or the surface of the skin--and the dermis--the second layer of the skin. It causes bumps, redness and itching.
- Miliaria Crystallina - this is the least severe from the three types of heat rash, but more prevalent in babies. This type of heat rash happens when there is a blockage in the sweat glands in the epidermis. This type can cause tiny clear blisters. It can appear like tiny beads of sweat trapped under the skin, it doesn’t look red and inflamed.
- Miliaria Profunda - this type of heat rash is the most severe out of all the three. Good thing is that this is also the most uncommon or rare. It happens when sweat leaks into the dermis which causes flushing and burning. Babies with this type of heat rash may also develop signs of heat exhaustion, causing the rash to become infected. The rashes appear like pimples and are usually in the same color of the skin.
Prevention of Heat Rash:
Here are some tips in preventing heat rash or prickly heat rash:
- Always monitor your baby for any signs of excess sweating. If your baby is over sweating and flushed, move them to a cooler area.
- Dress your babies appropriately based on the season. In warm areas or seasons, there’s no need for babies to be covered up, in swaddles or covered with blankets. Choose loose-fitting and breathable clothes.
- Use your air conditioning or fans to keep your little ones cool all the time.
- Keep your babies away from direct sunlight and avoid putting them directly in front of other heat sources like space heaters.
Baby Powders on Heat Rash:
Baby powders can really help soothe babies during the summer. Applying powder to your baby makes them feel refreshed and cool as it reduces their sweat by absorbing perspiration. In addition to that, it also ensures the pores aren’t blocked.
However, with all the lawsuits that have been going on with talcum powder, stating that it causes cancer, it is better to choose an all-natural powder that is safe for your baby’s sensitive skin.
The All Natural Mummy’s Miracle Talc-Free Cornstarch Baby Powder will not only make your baby’s feel refreshed and cool during heat season, and prevent them from having heat rash, but it does not pose a risk to their health as well.
All Natural Mummy’s Miracle Talc-Free Cornstarch Baby Powder is tested by pediatricians and toxic-free, chemical free and cruelty free as well.
Keep your baby skin dry and cool with our baby powder. It can also help soothe your baby’s inflamed and irritated skin.
Click the image to shop.
Love + miracles,